To support the recovery process of your body and get maximum benefits from the massage, it is essential to follow the advice outlined below.
Please note, however, that this is not a substitute for the advice of a medical professional, but merely assistance to help you get the best from your massage session. If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
AFTERCARE WITHIN 24 HOURS OF THE MASSAGE
- Drink plenty of water to assist the body’s detoxification process. It is strongly advised to drink a full glass of water immediately after the treatment to avoid headaches that can be caused by the toxins released through the massage session.
- Avoid eating a heavy meal after treatment. Try to go for light and easy to digest food while the body is using its energy for recovery.
- Avoid further toxins and stimulants such as cigarettes, alcohol, drugs & coffee. And prefer herbal infusions to tea.
- Get plenty of rest. You may feel tired after treatment.
- Gentle exercise – stretching and postural exercises that can help with muscle tension as well as functional exercises that will assist with mobility. Yoga is a suitable and gentle option.
- Do breathing exercises to assist with taking in oxygen to your fullest capacity.
- If oil has been used in the treatment, leave it on for a couple of hours if possible to nourish skin & hair.
- If you have the possibility to do so, take a warm bath, and soak for 20-40 minutes. To maximize the recovery process and soothe away any aches or pains, try to add some Epsom salt to your batch and create an at-home spa experience.
GENERAL LIFESTYLE ADVICE TO PROLONG THE BENEFITS OF MASSAGE
- Don’t smoke
- Get 8 hours of sleep per night
- Exercise 2-3 times per week
- Give yourself time to relax – take up a hobby or simply have a hot bath to relax the muscles and let mental tensions wash away
- Practice Tai Chi, Yoga or meditation if appropriate
- Practice the correct breathing techniques to create a feeling of calm
POSSIBLE REACTIONS LINKED TO THE RECOVERY PROCESS
These reactions are uncommon but perfectly normal and show, after your treatment, that toxins are being expelled from the body, so that it may re-balance and cleanse itself.
HOWEVER, in the unlikely event of experiencing any severe and/or prolonged pain or discomfort, please seek immediate advice from your doctor.
- Dizziness or nausea
- Disrupted sleeping pattern
- Tired or aching muscles
- Increased urination or passing stools
- Increased thirst
READY FOR YOUR NEXT MASSAGE SESSION?
To start with, it is recommended to receive massage once a week for 4-6 weeks to initiate the recovery process of your body, and then, once a month to maintain the benefits. However, the ideal frequency of sessions will vary from client to client.
Get in touch with me and book your next session at “Antonio Campos Massage”, either here, or simply by calling (+351) 936 408 424.
I’ll help you make your way through the stresses of modern life, month in, month out.
See you soon!